Frequently Asked Questions
1. What am I signing up for? What is the commitment?
Once you sign up, your level of involvement is up to you! We will tell you about board opportunities that match your interests. To deepen your knowledge and increase your network, we will also invite you to trainings and events. But attendance isn’t mandatory to receive our support and resources.The time commitment for individual civic boards vary. We encourage you to apply to one that fits your schedule and your life!
2. How intensive is the training?
We will offer our half-day basic training twice a year, plus occasional training and info sessions on topics not covered in the basic training. All training videos and materials will also be available on our website.
3. Is this a leadership development program?
We want to provide leadership support for anyone who participates! However, Appointed is not a formal leadership development program.
4. Is the training mandatory?
No! All events and trainings are optional. Once you complete our basic registration form, you’re ready to be Appointed.
5. Will there be wine?
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere! We can’t guarantee it at EVERY event, but…
6. I already signed up for Appointed. Do I still need to fill out a board application?
Yes. Each government has a different application process for its boards and commissions. If you need help, we can assist you in completing the form, but it’s the only way to officially apply for a board position.
7. Can I turn down a position?
Before you complete a formal board application, we will provide as much information as possible about the individual board positions. We encourage you to only apply to those that fit your interests and schedule. If it’s not right for you, that’s okay!
8. Once I’m on a board, will I be supported?
Absolutely. We will provide opportunities for mentorship from women who have already served and ways to network with your fellow appointees. We want to build a community of Appointed women.
9. How long does it take to get appointed?
There is no set appointment timeline. Board vacancies are rolling and occur throughout the year. We will do our best to advertise positions and encourage you to seek your own opportunities. However, there is no guarantee of an appointment. Each government body maintains complete discretion over who is selected. Our goal is to increase the pool of available candidates.
10. I’d love to serve on a board, but have too much on my plate. It’s only for people with more support and resources than me.
Our civic leadership should reflect the people they serve. We believe this will create better solutions to our communities’ challenges. Please talk to us if transportation to board meetings or child care is a barrier for you. We can help. Your voice should be at the table.
11. This sounds like politics. Are you political?
The Women’s Fund is a non-partisan organization, and so is Appointed. You may have political opinions, but we won’t ask for them.
12. I know Appointed is non-partisan, but my elected representatives are not. Do I have to like politics to be on a board?
Many elected officials belong to a political party, and our civic boards operate within a political landscape. However, these boards have defined roles within the government, and are not directly affiliated with political parties.
13. Where does my information go? Will you share it with anyone?
We only maintain the information you provided to us (in our secure database), and will never distribute it to anyone without your permission.
14. Can I remove myself from the list?
Yes. If you no longer want to be in our database or receive emails from Appointed, please let us know and we will remove you from our list.
15. How else can I get involved?
There are many ways to get involved!
If you have civic board experience, consider serving as a mentor to a new appointee.
If you know others who might be interested, invite us to speak to your group or organization about Appointed.
If you’re an elected official making appointments, contact us about identifying interested candidates for your board positions.
If you can provide training or financial support, please let us know.
16. Believe it or not, I still have a question? Who can I contact to learn more?
Please contact Holly Hankinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any other questions or to learn more.
17. Will you send me a cool piece of swag?
We don’t have a shipping department, but have been known to provide a laptop sticker or cool pin from time to time. Stay tuned!