The Thomas J. Emery Memorial
The Emery Memorial was founded by Mary M. Emery on April 20, 1925 as a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Ohio.
|Mary Emery and Elizabeth Livingood c. 1908 (photo courtesy Mariemont Preservation Association)
Thomas J. Emery (1830-1906) and his wife Mary M. Emery (1844-1927) were prominent Cincinnati philanthropists who generously supported local cultural and educational institutions.
Thomas Emery was an industrialist and real estate developer who made significant contributions both literally and figuratively to the building of Cincinnati. Mary Emery, whose generosity earned her the title “Cincinnati’s Lady Bountiful,” provided the inspiration and capital to build the model Village of Mariemont.
Purpose of The Emery Memorial
The Last Will and Testament of Mrs. Emery states that “[T]he general purpose of this Memorial shall be to secure a citizenry which shall be more sane, sound and effective because of more satisfactory initial conditions of environment and education.” The Memorial will be used for the “physical, social, civic and educational betterment” of individuals.