Step 4: Create Your Philanthropic Mission Statement
Now that you’ve analyzed your current giving with your values, it’s time to create your mission statement. A mission statement will help you clarify your philanthropic goals and establish a giving roadmap.
Tip: A mission statement should be an action statement about your philanthropic purpose.
Before you begin:
How is a Mission Statement Helpful?
Mission statements are very personal and are meant to reflect your values. A mission statement describes the difference you want to make in the world.
A mission statement makes your charitable giving more effective, because you will:
- Make a significant impact on things that matter most to you
- Feel more connected to your charities of choice
- Reduce waste by knowing in advance the causes and organizations you support. The junk mail and solicitors’ calls will dissipate.
- Be comfortable saying NO to requests that don’t fit your plan.
Once your mission statement is created, you can develop a giving plan that reflects that mission.
- Compare your giving history worksheet with your mission statement
- Which gifts/organizations fit within your mission statement
- Create a new giving plan based on your mission statement and the 50/30/20 rule.
If you are interested in exploring these tools with a staff member of the Greater Cincinnati Foundation, contact a member of the Giving Strategies Team or call 513-241-2880.
Next Step: Plan for the Future
<< Previous Step: Create a Giving Plan